I’m sure everyone out there has their own version of Tacos, and we aren’t saying that ours are the best, but we are saying we really like this version and its pretty healthy as well. Here is what you’re going to need for these Turkey Tacos:
- 1 Pound ground turkey
- One large onion, diced (we usually go for sweet, but any will do)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red, yellow, orange…the only one we really never do is green)
- 1 zucchini, finely grated
- I can of diced green chilies
- Low sodium taco seasoning blend
- 1 cup of salsa
- Your favorite hot sauce (optional)
From here it is pretty simple. Here are the steps;
- Put the onion, pepper, and zucchini into a pan with a bit of oil to keep from sticking and begin to simmer on medium heat. Add in half of your salsa along with the veggies as they simmer as well as any hot sauce that you might want if you like it a little spicier. Cook until most of the moisture from the veggies has cooked out and they’ve began to caramelize.
- Add the ground turkey into the now caramelized veggies. Put in the rest of your salsa, the can of diced green chilies, and a quarter packet of the taco seasoning and continue cooking until the turkey is cooked all the way through, and most of the moisture has been cooked out of the mixture. If the meat starts sticking to the bottom of the pan then you’re probably done.
This recipe really is just for the meat. What you do once you have the meat mixture is up to you. Holly usually goes for a quesadilla. Kenny normally does nachos. It’s also really good mixed in with some lettuce for a taco salad. Let us know how you like to eat your tacos!